I’ve been eagerly waiting for weeks and months, drooling over the release of the latest Android version 4.0 termed Ice Cream Sandwich, and after seeing the reviews, I can gladly say that I’m not disappointed. The looks, the features are all on a whole new level. Some of the features that impressed me include :
- Face Unlock – This is a new concept of unlocking phones and a good way to protect your device without having the pain of remembering the passwords. In case the device isn’t able to recognise you, it switches to pattern unlock mode, so one does not have to worry about face unlocking in the night.
- Screenshots – Though not such an impressive feature, it is good to see it inbuilt in ICS
- Browser – The new browser definitely looks much more faster and optimised as compared to the stock browsers in the previous versions. Again a +1 for ICS.
- Enhanced Speech to Text – This feature is one of the awesomest features of ICS. The Speech to Text is way better than the ones in previous OS versions. The time delay between conversion from speech to text is very less making it almost instantaneous. And the really really cool part is that it all comes inbuilt in the OS !!!
- Absence of Buttons – The design of ICS has been made similar to Honeycomb where button-less navigation prevails. Well I frankly don’t know if this would be cool, so i guess I’ll wait it out until I feel it for myself.
- Data Usage – Perhaps one of the coolest techie feature would be this one, in my opinion. You can now monitor your data usage, set timelines to monitor your data usage in, see what apps hog your data and so on. A really cool feature.
- Android Beam – Well this is not the first time I’m seeing this sorta app, but I must say that I’m impressed because ICS ports it as a stock app with the device ! For those who are wondering what this is, it is similar to the Bump app. You make your phone and the target phone to come into contact with each other and then transfer stuff like webpages, links, apps and so on.
There are a lot more cool features in this latest version OS of Android, but these are a few that really caught my eye. Well i would like to thank Google for their awesome efforts to take Android into a whole new level and make techies like me drool over it. Ice Cream Sandwich indeed.